The top of
the depth gauge formerly located at Framilode Lock to measure the depth
of the River Severn has survived.
seen from the location of Framilode swing bridge was effectively
bypassed when the Gloucester & Berkeley Canal
opened in 1827. However, it continued to provide an important link to
the Bullo Pill Dock which was a major outlet on the opposite side of
the River Severn for Forest of Dean Coal. It is thought to have last
been used in about 1936.
towards the site of Framilode Swing Bridge. This length of canal is
owned by the local parish council.
The Ship Inn -
The Ship Inn is no
longer accessible by boat but the one on the pub sign gives an
indication of what the Severn Trows that would have passed regularly
None of these craft
have survived on the water although the sunken remains of them can be
found at various locations.
The only one in good
condition is a replica of the trow Spry.
In the background
can be seen the low fixed bridge carrying the road to Saul village.
phenomena has been seen at various locations in winter and is caused by
a pink floating invasive non-native weed species called azolla.
Junction Lock was
built to connect the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal with the earlier
Stroudwater link with the Severn at Framilode.
The lock gates are
of a design found on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal.
The Canal & River trust have replaced these gates with new ones since this picture was taken.